Springerle Cookies




A friend gave me a House on the Hill Springerle cookie mold and some bakers' amonia so I could make these beauties. Springerle is a traditional German cookie that took me 3 days to make.

Day 1: make batter and chill
Day 2: shape cookies and let dry
Day 3: bake in small batches

Typically, the cookies are flavored with anise, but I used 1 dram of LorAnn raspberry flavor instead. I also dipped the cookies in chocolate.

I'm pleasantly surprised these held their shape and tasted fantastic. I just followed House on the Hill's recipe. Next time, I'd like to take more care to roll the dough a bit thinner. I didn't realize how much these would expand as they baked.   






^These are the unbaked cookies, drying out overnight so they can form a "crust."






^The final product is a pale, delicate cookie packed with flavor.



Comments

Popular Posts