3 Things to know about CBD



(CBD gummies I made at home with a CBD tincture and Jello) 

Just about a year ago, I was diagnosed with Multiple Sclerosis (MS). It led me to try something I'd never considered before - medical marijuana.

THC and CBD help me immensely with muscle spasms, pain, and sleep issues. And, because I love to cook, I incorporate cannabis into my personal cooking and diet. 

I have the luxury of being open and informed about my cannabis use because I hold a medical marijuana card. Lately, I've spoken with a number of people who want to know more about cannabis but don't know how to begin their research. Also, even though Michigan just legalized recreational cannabis, we're still months away from it hitting the market for the average consumer. 

In the meantime, I think it's helpful to get a baseline understanding of CBD - a hemp-derived substance currently available in all 50 states. So, I've collected links to a variety of sources that I found helpful over the past year.

WHAT YOU NEED TO KNOW ABOUT CBD

1. "It's non-psychoactive!" 

CBD is often called the non-psychoactive chemical in hemp plants. But here's the caveat: CBD *DOES* affect your mental state - it helps you relax, but without a loss of inhibitions or coordination that you might expect from a hemp plant.

Scientists still are not entirely sure what it's good for, but in my personal use I've found it calming and a source of mild pain relief.

2. You can buy it almost anywhere.

Geez. I have to keep updating this blog post because national and local businesses are eager to add CBD products to their inventory. Most recently, Walgreens, Kroger, and Family Video are jumping on the CBD train.

You can find CBD products on Groupon, Amazon, etc. - most major online sellers will offer a variety of CBD products. It's not hard to find, but it can be difficult to understand what you're buying.

3. CBD products have a wide range of effectiveness - it's hard to know what to buy. 

While it's easy to be overwhelmed by all the products out there, the FDA is working on new regulations. They know that CBD's sudden rise in popularity has attracted a horde of snake oil salesmen. 

But, luckily for you, I've been a CBD adventurer for two years now. Below are my recommendations for products, in no particular order. 
  • SELECT CBD: if you want a winner, pick this company. They're so good that world champion soccer player MeganRapinoe endorsed them as one of the products she can't travel without. I love their lavender vape pens because I'm a sucker for flower-flavored anything. I've shared my pen with a few friends, and every.single.one. has been impressed by the flavor and potency.  
  • 50 SHADES OF GREEN, Kentucky Hemp: I encountered this company by chance at a coffee shop in Muncie, Indiana. I like that they're 100% USA hemp, and their gummies are tasty. They are the most potent gummies I've found anywhere (and believe me, I've looked). 
  • MARY'S MEDICINALS: this company is the pioneer of the transdermal patch for controlled micro-dosing. The patches are expensive ($10/each), but when I use them, I feel like I'm wearing a secret extra battery pack.  
  • VAPE BRAT: they have great Groupon deals for experimenting with entry-level CBD disposable vape pens. They taste like candy and are easy to use, but I would put them on the low end of good potency. Definitely a solid bang for the buck overall.     
Additional Reading:
Last edited: 7/15/19


Comments

Popular Posts