Raspberry rosemary buttermilk donut attempt










King Arthur is the gold-standard in baking. I used their recipe for old-fashioned cake donuts, with a slight twist. Instead of lemon zest, I used three drops of food-grade rosemary essential oil. It gives the donuts a delicious savory note. 

For me, the trickiest part of making donuts is the frying process. You can see in the second photo that the darkest donut suffered in too-hot oil, while the rest are relatively good-looking. 

I made a glaze (third photo) and an icing. I was attempting to recreate Blue Star's raspberry rosemary buttermilk donut - which is still the best donut I've ever eaten. 

For the glaze, I boiled and pureed raspberries and added confectionery sugar until I reached a decent consistency. The raspberry taste wasn't very strong, and the glaze was a bit thin. 

For the icing, I tried a bunch of different things and it was such an impulsive/reactive experiment that I can't recall exactly what I did. It involved a lot of corn syrup, corn starch, raspberry jam, butter, and milk. 

Comments

Popular Posts